Attractions

  • Teatro Principal

    Address:
    Plaza de Ruperto Chapí, s/n .

    The Principal Theatre ( Teatro Principal de Alicante) was opened in 1847, and it is an excellent venue. The main façade is neoclassical. Its interior, built ​​according to Italian style atthe time, is divided into three clearly different areas: lobby, thehorseshoe-shaped cavea and stage.

  • Castillo Santa Barbara

    Address:
    Calle Virgen del Socorro .

    Perched on top of M­ount Benacantil, at a height of 166 metres, stands one of Spain’s largest mediaeval fortresses, providing great views of Alicante’s perfect bay. It has three different enclosures from three distinct periods:

    The upper enclosure, “La Torreta”, is where visitors will find the keep and the most ancient remains of the fortress, which mostly date from the 14th century.

    The mid-level enclosure is home to the most important buildings, which were built in the 16th century. These include:

    -The Salón Felipe II hall

    -The Cuerpo de Guardia guardhouse the Patio de Armas parade ground the Baluarte de la Reina bastion.

    -The lower enclosure dates back to the 18th century and is home to the Revellín del Bon Repós ravelin.

     

  • Explanada de España

    Address:
    Paseo de la Explanada .

    The Explanada de España is a maritime promenade that runs parallel to the port, from the Puerta del Mar to Canalejas Park and is one of the most popular areas in Alicante. La Explanada de España is also known as the “Paseo de la Explanada” and is one of the city’s emblems. It runs parallel to one of the port wharfs and is lined on both sides with rows of palm tres. The floor is decorated with 6.600.000 tricolour marble tiles forming a design with a carachteristic wave effect mosaic.

  • Plaza de Toros

    Address:
    Plaza de España .

    This is one of the oldest working bull rings in the Region of Valencia. Built in 1847 by Alicante architect Emilio Jover, it had to be completely renovated in 1884 due to serious deterioration. Its second architect, José Guardiola, took on this important project and added a second floor with stairs and independent adjacent accesses.